RS4 Goes shopping, my review on my purchase

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RS4

AVForums Super Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So, if you have not realised already. I am a die hard Cyrus Fan. I love their components, the look and the size especially. I've had plenty of their stuff over the years. This is a pretty long post, I suggest a cup of coffee/tea or in this weather: a coke!

The Prologue:

I'm also quite a big PS3/Xbox Gamer, and that requires 5.1 Decoding for in-game playing. Its actually vital for gaming these days because the surround sound helps you. For example, if you need to find somebody in the game - you will have no idea where they are but they will be screaming from a certain direction which you assertain via the surround sound.

So, when my PS3 arrived. I sold off my Cyrus integrated amplifier thinking I would replace it with an AV Receiver for the needed surround sound. Big mistake! So, I got the surround sound but lost all quality in the speakers. They were dull and boring and most importantly: Underpowered! The first buy was the slimline Sony 'rated' at 120RMS @ 8 ohms. I think I hated that amp more then I hate mugabe! That amp lasted around a month.

Then came the Yamaha, I was talked into the simplicity of an AV Receiver from my brother. I was already considering going back to Stereo. So, plugged in the Yammy and all of a sudden the speakers were alive again. But I felt as if it was missing finer details. At least I could listen to stereo again tho. The Yammy suited my needs but I was never really happy with it. It was a good alrounder but it was nothing special if you know what I mean. I then started attending the SQ workshops and realised exactly what I used to have but I was missing out on. So, I started saving around 4 months ago for something I knew I would appreciate and enjoy daily.

Finally, an offer came about overseas for my new Processor/Pre-amp which is why I needed to sell my Yammy that day to get it. Mervin was the lucky guy who got it for R4000. Meanwhile, I paid overseas and this was sent last week. It only arrived today because of all the public holidays and delays.

Cyrus Audio AV Master 8.0 Pre-amplifier/Processor/Integrated amplifier

WHAT I LIKED

Stereo to Surround Sound:
What caught my attention about this goodie is that its designed to be integrated with an existing stereo system to give you 5.1. It has 3 channels of power amplifiers built in.
Centre: 70RMS X 1 @ 8 ohms
Left and Right: 30 RMS X 2 @ 8 ohms  [These channels can be set to play whichever left and right speakers you need.]

All of these can be deactivated.

High quality DAC
Instead of just having a high quality pre-amplifier for stereo. Having the AV Master also acts as a high quality DAC. The only problem with using it as a DAC is that there are no balaced outputs. However, this didnt concern me. I dont have a CD Player at the moment (I am broke, this hit hard for a 20yr old full time student) But using my PS3 is suitable for the meantime as a CD Player.

Dedicated Pre-amplifier
If you are using the unbalanced inputs at the back, there is a feature to bi-pass all the processing and just let this become a dedicated pre-amplifier.

7.1 Surround Sound decoding capabilities.

The only bummer is that its optical only and doesnt allow for any audio via HDMI or 6 channel input for processing via the blu-ray player. However, I am not concerned.

Time Delays for listening postions

Most of the time when I play PS3, I lie on my bed which is in the corner of my bedroom. This feature will come in really handy when I set it up.

ITS A CYRUS!

MY REVIEWS

CD: Taiwan Audio Association
Listening to track 13 (Yesterday once more, artist: Unknown). I started hearing details I lacked in the Yammy. It sounds nice again, smooth like a freshly waxed........
surfboard. Imagery to die for. An incredible 3D Affect.

CD: Focal Test Disc
Spannish Harlem was amazing to listen to. A perfect centre! It was fantastic to listen to. I was enjoying myself so much that I just left it on repeat for about 20 minutes. The 3D affects were incredible.

DVD: Bee Gees - One Night Only DTS
The processing was the same as the Yammy, very good. But because the speakers were getting a better signal it was like listening to the concert for the first time. Absolutely incredible.  Listening to "I started a Joke" was trully epic.

Blu Ray: The Dark Knight Dolby Digital
The opening scene music was alive and perfectly integrated with the rest of the scene. It sounds amazing.

DVD: Mamma Mia Dolby Digital
So, the coding for this movie is not to my liking from the start. When the music scenes play, the main singer is the only thing that comes from the centre speaker while the music and backup vocals come from the front surrounds. This sounded terrible on the Yammy, I prefered listening in stereo because at least it felt like music.

The Cyrus integrates it beautifully, still not to my liking but much better then the Yammy. However, the main vocals coming from the centre still are annoying.

All in all, I must say that I am exceptionally happy with my purchase. It wasnt easy to keep saving but I did it. Next on my list is a matching Cyrus Power Amplifier. I should manage to get this by April/May hopefully. The only thing that really irritates me is that this cost me a fortune and it came with a R20 remote commander. Looks like something that comes with a car radio, but cheaper. I hope you enjoyed my first review.

Pics:

SANY0067.jpg

SANY0068.jpg

SANY0069.jpg

SANY0070.jpg

SANY0072.jpg