Rolling my own squeezebox transport - even a newbie can come right!

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jes

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
So spent the last four nights getting a mini pc running to be used in my system as a transport. My original plan was to visit one of the experienced guys and twist their arms to get it running but when I got started I could not wait for the weekend. This is not a how-to because frankly I still don't know on a few things. This post is just to show that it is possible even for a newbie and to say thanks to those who helped.

Firstly I got hold of a mini pc to use as a transport and the first hurdle was loading arch linux. Now that took some time because I really don't know anything about linux as I stated. But thanks to Johnny Rotten's suggestion of using Evo lution linux I managed to get sorted. Few niggles when setting up the drive but eventually got it right.

Second was installing the squeeze on arch and setting everything up. Now here Scrarfussi was amazing. Walked me through everything. Set up my server and everything else.

So to those who don't know how this works and how much easier it is to use than most things here are the advantages once setup:
You have a headless pc that is connected to your dac and you hopefully never need to touch again
This pc is controlled remotely from another pc
You add files remotely, you update remotely, you play the music remotely
Use your phone to control the playback and you up and away.

The setup is daunting. But thanks to the guide on the forum from Johnny, Scrarfussi and co it is possible for a newbie. And once it's done can be repeated quite easily.

Best of all for me is I have a transport with a 2tb storage for about 4k.

If you concerned about the setup the guys have loaded their setup for the wandboard where you download the image file and put it on yours, a few adjustments and you away.

Really cool.

Again thanks to Scrafussi and the others for making this possible.

Latest posts