Newbie question - help getting streaming to work

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Strummer

Reaction score
Hello
Beginner question alert, this is my first post on this forum, looking for basic newbie level help,

I've always listened to vinyls or CD's but am wanting to set up/add digital streaming to my older Yamaha stereo amp, and just really struggling to get my old brain to understand the whole streaming thing.

I have the Xiaomi Mi Box S plugged into the Yamaha amp (3.5mm stereo jack out the Xiaomi to RCA into amp).
Also have HDMI out of of Xiaomi into TV
Have downloaded trial version of Tidal
I can see the Tidal app on the TV and play from TV to amp, no problem
But what I want to do is control the Tidal app from my iPhone - and this has rather defeated me
Everything is on the same WiFi network
And I think I have managed to download Chromecast to the iPhone (somehow not sure) because the iPhone does periodically seem to send signal to the Xiaomi.
But that the problem, it seems to be very periodic, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'll try play something from the iPhone, and it plays through the amp, but then I'll change to another track and it starts playing the new track through the phone instead of sending to amp. Or it just drops (goes silent) for a couple seconds. Or the app just doesn't seem to respond to changing tracks.

So my questions....
In theory, is it possible to use Tidal on an iPhone and send the signal to Xiaomi? Should my set up work?
Does the TV need to be on for the "iPhone to Xiaomi" signal to work?
Is there a better place to ask these questions?

Thanks so much!

Latest posts