Receiver Advice

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arc

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum although I have been lurking here as a guest.

I'm looking at getting a good sounding small home theatre setup as I don't have a massive room, do have neighbours close by and is on a tight budget.
I'm currently using Beyerdynamic DT990 pro's and a Fiio dac for music and gaming, but recently bought a pair of Bentley FR100's secondhand for a good price. I don't have an amp or receiver at this moment and looking to get one later this month. I only demo'd the FR100's at a friend's place connected to an old Sony receiver and I was pleasantly surprised about the speakers.

Background for my requirements:
All my source media is on a Plex server (except for Tidal for music) and I use a Chromecast with google tv plugged into the HDMI of my LG UHD TV. I require a receiver that can process DTS MA and Dolby TrueHD, no need for Atmos or DTS-X yet. I'm only planning to get surrounds at a later stage but thus need the receiver to be able to process the above formats. I'm also planning to upgrade my TV to one that supports HDR in the near future.

I were looking at entry level AVR's like the Denon x250/550bt or Onkyo SR393 were I can use the Google TV as a source and use HDMI out for the video to my TV.

But, I've been looking at the second hand market and there are older but "better" models on the market for the same price that do meet my audio format requirements but with 1080p HDMI passthrough only.

Now I thought maybe I can keep the Google TV in the TV's HDMI port and passthrough the audio via tosslink to the receiver and not make use of the HDMI on the AVR, and get a better sounding ARV in the process instead of the entry level ones with all the bells and whistles.

Any input in this regard is appreciated, thakns.