Questions about PCB's, power rectification, etc.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

u235

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am busy building a power-supply board - 6v, 12v and 240ac off the same board. This is the first step in the long rod to building the internals for the uberamp. Can someone out there please answer a couple of questions for me?"

a) What is a  simple way to transfer a paper design onto a blank PC board (not strip board)?
b) Is there any reason why a valve amplifier should not also be built on a PC board? The valve preamp that Rudi did for me is on a PCB, but all the designs for power amps that I have seen use point-to-point wiring, which to my eye looks messy.
c) I have found a latching relay (called an impulse relay actually) that switches on 240v from a 12v impulse. It is the same sort as used in garage doors, booms, etc. Anyone have any experience with these?
d) how can I calculate the size of capacitor that I need on my rectified outputs, 6v and 12v?
e) What is the point of a capacitor in series with a resistor, in parallel with the rectified power outputs? Do I need this arrangement? If so, how can I calculate the right values?

Thanks in advance!

Latest posts