Quad 33/303 Issue

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silodweller

Reaction score
Hi all,

About 3 years ago I brought a Quad 303 back from the dead. It was a definite learning experience for me as I had never attempted anything like this before. In the end the amp turned out wonderfully and for the past 3 years I have been enjoying beautiful sounds.
At the time I did not totally refurbish the 33 preamp aside from replacing a few really bad looking capacitors but besides that the system as a whole worked well.
Then on Saturday a hum started and built up which includes a hiss and what could be described as a slight "crackling" sound too. It appears to be coming from one channel. The hum grows louder in relation to the volume being turned up. The 303 amp seems alright and there is no heat build up on the heat sink other than the usual warmth that comes with listening to music.
My first thought is perhaps a cap or a transistor has failed in the preamp but I am not sure. I am away from home until middle of March so I am unable to spend any time to ascertain what the issue might be, but I would honestly appreciate any guidance or advice from my esteemed board members in the meantime.
This system is really like my baby so I am of course chomping at the bit.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this post and I hope to hear from you soon.