Quad 2905 vs LOUD

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevorhd

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I've created a difficult problem for myself due to upgradeitis, I recently purchased a set of Quad 2905 speakers on the forum and am driving them using an Emotiva XPA5 capable of 300W with only 2 channels driven. The quads are tripping the Emotiva as soon as the volume gets anywhere near loud and I enjoy loud. I think it only happens once the Quads go into protection but am not sure. I did read before I bought the quads that they do not play all that loud but after listening to them I decided I needed to give then a go.
I have since compared the Quads to my Cm10?s and Cm6?s and although I still love the B&w?s they now seem flat compared to the Quads. The Cm10?s however can play VERY loud.
I was considering a set of Magnepan 3.7 a while ago but struggled with the price, can anyone suggest any speakers in the R30k region that could compete and give me the sound of the quads without the constant cutting out at volume.
BTW my setup is based on 50% music and 50% HT. Everything I play is digital and not always the highest quality recording but my Yamaha 810 (used as a preamp) manages to take bad quality digital to a level I enjoy even though very revealing speakers
Thanks

Latest posts