OSMC on Rpi in headless mode with a tablet. Please HELP!

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolt

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
hello,
I'm convinced now that I am allergic to technology. especially Linux related technology.

I have a Raspberry Pi B+ (not a model 2)
I have a relatively inexpensive tablet, but its more than capable of running the kodi remote (last time I checked it was the official osmc remote)
I have 2TB Seagate powered HDD.

I have what I think is the latest build of OSMC running on the RPi. I have a usb wifi dongle and that's also working. the kore remote on my tablet and phone also work and the yatse remote also works. basically everything works.

The problem is that I want to be able to browse files on my HDD (NOT ON THE NETWORK. IT'S PHYSICALLY CONNECTED TO THE RPi) through my android device. so I can browse folders and select and play tracks from my tablet WITHOUT needing a TV to see the track listing and folder trees. I want to see all this on my tablet / phone.

The setup currently is useless to me as the app provides me with an arrow interface and can navigate the menus that are displayed on the tv only. only once a track is playing can I access information about that track only and its track bar (etc) I cant even skip to the next track in the folder!!
I want to be able to navigate the HDD from my tablet without using the TV.

once upon a time I had this working with XBMC and the yatse remote app. BUT it was with a 32gb flash drive, not my 2TB HDD.

IF this is not possible can you recommend a system that will allow me to do such a thing. (preferably android. the price of fruit is ridiculous these days.)

can volumio do this? (previously know as raspberry fi) the only problem is that I Will use the TV sometimes for watching music videos and live music recordings and I don't want 2 Pis because I only have one HDD. I don't want to have the HDD on the network either as I travel with this setup as well. I use my phone as a hotspot and navigate my rpi with my tablet. I often go to places with no wifi.

:Dolt

Latest posts