OS for file server

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorneDJ

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi,

I am building a second file server mainly as a server that can host large files (100 MB to 2 GB each) that is infrequently accesses, such as topographical maps, as well as a backup for the main file server hosting the documents we use daily. After spending a few hours (more likely a day) I am still a but unsure. I have ruled out Windows Home Server just because I want to move away from Microsoft, and I am left with a crapload of different linux distro's (never knew there where that many). We have 6 people working at our company.

I need to incorporate the following:
- Small installation. I want to use the HP/Proliant Microserver internal USB port to install the OS. This also resulted in ruling out WHS.
- Some redundancy. I will be dropping in 3 or 4x 1 - 3 TB drives. Speed is not that critical as I will only store the data files here (no documents or stuff, mainly jpg,s and tiff files). These files never changes, so one backup on a portable drive would sort that out out. I thought of buying a RAID card, but considering the use, I thought of using something like software RAID 1 or even something like greyhole (http://www.greyhole.net/)
- For security I need people to log in. Because they log into their Windows PC's, I would like to use the same username/password. Admittedly I am a bit unsure about this feature, as Windows works so well here, and if it was't for the installation size issue, I would have gone with WHS just because of this. I believe that this can be done using SAMBA over a linux installation like Ubuntu.
- The PC will not have a screen so I need to access it remotely via my Windows desktop.
- I would prefer to do this myself.

Any recommendations on this, and am I on the right track.

Regards

Morn?

Latest posts