NEW Cable arguments thread.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

RR

Re. Cables and their influence on system performance, whether it is 1) perceived (i.e. with your ears) or 2) technical prove/disprove.

We have had the thread below called ?more chaotic cable arguments?, a thread that in itself has been split off from another thread in the AVSA forum. Right now it is also not about cables anymore, with the amplifier gang hijacking it ;D ;D. (Very interesting nonetheless, although quite challenging for the not so electronically minded.  ;) ;) )

Anyway, some forum members thought it appropriate to start a fresh cable debate. I am a relatively new member, but have heard about several hectic debates on this topic in the past. Some might say ?Oh no not again?, so the reasons for starting a new one:
1) Several newer members might have opinions on the subject, or need to hear the older forumite?s opinions.
2) I have read many a thread on cables, and it is clear that there are still lots to say.

So, please fire away. This includes those generally ?for? or ?against? the use of ?exotic? cabling.

I am one of those ?for? the use of exotic cabling, however still fully admitting to the fact that there are limits, especially pertaining to
1) system value (don?t buy R5k cables for a R5k system),
2) perceived difference (If a R20k cable doesn?t sound better than your current R1k cable, then it isn?t better for you, don?t buy it).

I have then also heard opinions ?against? cables, saying that one tends to be ?awestruck? by a price and is then fooled into ?hearing? differences that aren?t there (these arguments was obviously put in much more detail). I don?t agree with these. I trust my ears, and the argument that audiophiles are rearing to part with money if the marketing tells you it is better just doesn?t apply itself so consistently as some claim.

Then there was also arguments that some cable manufacturers are re-branders, taking ?nasty? el-cheapo cable and rebrading it as exotic. Other than Croak?s comments in the previous thread, this has still not been resolved as well, please add in your opinions on this as well. We as the general hifi community need to understand this issue.

Latest posts