The best bargains, the most music for money products, opinions.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ingvar Ahlberg

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
In a thread in the vintage section I came to think about bargains, those products that deliver very much in relation to the cost as that is one of the main reasons for buying high quality vintage equipment, often for very good prices, but there are of course new equipment that fits into that bargain, very good value for money, very much music/$.

I meant this to be covering all the chains used in todays home music replay systems, from R2R to streaming devices and everything in between but as I dont use and have sub-zero knowledge regarding the digital side of this others have to contribute there, and in every other aspect too.

This is not meant to cover vintage stuff but instead what You can buy new today, even if the roots can be somewhere in the dark ages , as You understand that paved the way for my first candidate for the number 1 ranking in this "contest" (which it not is, just want Your opinions, as I suppose do many other forum friends)

So, designed in 1962 and still produced after the same design and keep selling well worldwide we can assume that the basic design is pretty good, when we the first time mount, adjust and listen to a Denon DL-103 and every time I switch to mine instead of any of the other good cartridges I have I wonder why I bother with the search for new ones, do I find better ones? Perhaps, do they make the Denon unusable, no. Do they give me more/better music? I don?t think so.

The best of them does most things better than the 103 but none give me better music enjoyment, using the Denon I only listen to the records/the music, I never listen to the cartridge, which it was never intended for, it was designed to replay music and feed it forward to the amplifier, and that it still does better than most other cartridges I have ever heard.

So at my number 1 spot of bargains/value for money I still want to place Denon DL-103, what do You think?

Ingvar

Latest posts