My comparison : Digital and vinyl

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eish

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
For the first personal comparison I used the following.

Vinyl:  Linn Axis, Linn basik plus, Ortofon 2M, counterweight at 1.8g, bias midway between 1.5 and 2.
Digital: Galaxy 10.1, Yamaha app, streaming 64kbps wma files through wifi using TP Link router.

Right, this is test one, the second will use Mede8er for digital, connected by HDMI and using 320kbps AAC files against vinyl.

Results according to my perception.

Digital is approximately 10dB louder than vinyl. So to compare, I had to change volume everytime I switch, which was a real pain. But I found 10dB irritatingly high. If any forumites knows how to address this, shoot.

Vinyl has a lot of activity in the higher frequencies, Norah Jones's breathing and the whoosh of breath from the singing is much clearer on vinyl. Digital felt like someone pressed the Dolby NR button (remember those from cassettes?).  I still need to get the TT setup better though because high volume high frequency passages had a faint harshness to them which I am sure is due to my setup. But, I am new to this so, learn as I go.

The vinyl record is brand new so no snap crackle pop at all.

Lastly, I played digital at -35dB and sitting back on my chair, the sound was nice and clean but it was tiring, some faint boominess that I thought I needed to adjust my position away from a possible standing wave (or whatever you call it when you sit on that awfull sweetspot where waves collide and amplify each other and sound rather overpowering).

I listened to vinyl at -25dB to keep the volume perceptibly the same, the tiring and boominess was gone, just gone.

Right. That is my view. Tonight I do test 2. Test 2 will be conducted in Pure Audio mode.

The amp used is a Yamaha 2067, speakers are Wharfedale evo II 30, no sub, no DSP, no enhancement, no external phono stage, using my most preferred volume setting.

Last thing I must mention. Having to stand up, put the coffee down, remove the laptop from my lap, remove the nice and warm blanket in the CT winter, walk to the TT and open the lid (or just remove it), lift the tonearm,align it with the next song and lower it, walk back, put the blanket, place the lap top, pick up the coffee......all this to skip one song is a real pain, real pain. But, on the other hand, I found it engages me on the actual listening experience. I can't describe it, but there is an engagement that is much more than browsing through files using a remote.

Mistalavista

Latest posts