Dynamic range with classical music

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlaubza

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi, happy new year to you all.

I'm specifically referring to the playback of digital i.e. CD, classical music. Over the years, I have struggled with the dynamic range of classical recordings. One moment, the music is too much 'piano' and the next, too much 'forte'.

In the real world environment of the various lounges and current small music room. I find I have to raise the volume to hear the quiet passages and lower the volume when music reaches a crescendo.

No problems with small ensemble jazz and even with orchestral accompaniment to singers like Diana Krall, so I think my speakers (Sonor Audio Claro) and amp (Denon x4200w) are ok.

It is the classical music recordings that are the problem. A recording studio or booth environment is nowhere near a domestic room and the dynamic range of digital classical recordings is just too extreme for a domestic room.

I wonder if this is one of the reasons why vinyl is making a comeback - the dynamic range on vinyl is less than that on a CD by a significant amount and should be a more comfortable listening experience in comparison to the extreme DR that CD's or files are capable of achieving.

I'd like to know what other readers experience has been.