veilinsa

AVForums Member
Reaction score
This was an interesting read.

https://hackaday.com/2022/02/02/know-audio-a-mess-of-cables/

The Eschatologist

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hmm, higher end cables are probably better than the cheapest cables, but the amount of actual sound improvement between a dependable mid-range cable and a super high end expensive cable is probably not worth the cost. Cables are the last thing one should be sinking money into in a system, only if all your other components are already top notch

chrisc

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
A valid point was that silver-plated copper cables will transmit audio frequencies more effectively since its the surface conductivity that matters

That 0.1%......

Maybe 0.5%

Den123

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Very good article. I studied electronics in the ?80s and tested different cables on an LCR bridge. Without going into L,C and R details, there is very little difference. I will however agree that the surface treatment, protection, corrosion etc on many RCA plugs and sockets leaves a lot to be desired. As for really expensive mains cables, go on, pull the other one. And then there is the $100 fuse?..

stereoholic

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I have a few cheapish green coloured no name RCA interconnects which I bought back in 1995, they are still serving me well to this day. I have tried more expensive,homemade,etc, but always come back to the old greenies.

They look similar to this (without the ground wire).
https://www.amazon.com/RCA-Cable-with-Ground-Wire/dp/B09C7JGSCF

humfr33

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Definitely a fan of the middle of the road option - almost more from a longevity perspective - wires sometimes get yanked pulled and moved around. I would rather have a decent cable I made myself than having to replace cheapies all the time, but I can't justify the cost of high end cables.

shorai

Reaction score
Very good article. I studied electronics in the ?80s and tested different cables on an LCR bridge. Without going into L,C and R details, there is very little difference. I will however agree that the surface treatment, protection, corrosion etc on many RCA plugs and sockets leaves a lot to be desired. As for really expensive mains cables, go on, pull the other one. And then there is the $100 fuse?..
Have to pull the other one to make them equal again:)