Media player advice please

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Pax

Having just now again stepped into the ring of better high fidelity sound and having acquired some new (to me) equipment, I find myself as critical as I was 30 odd years ago when I left the arena of 'hifi' to play with motorcycles in stead.

I love my cd's  and also music DVD's  and have ripped many to HDD in FLAC and in ISO and played them via my AVR (Harman Kardon 161s) from a ACRyan media player. The ACRyan had moved to on the hereafter, and I am at a loss as to what to replace it with. (Google does not help me here)

A new unit will primarily be feeding my Emotiva PT100/Linn/B&W stereo setup, but I would also like to be able to also feed it via the AVR for when I would want surround sound (sometimes the madness surfaces yes ;D ).

What media player could I be looking at that can play FLAC and ISO, and has the outputs needed, i.e. digital to the pre-amp and video or HDMI to the TV and/or AVR? Would I be better off with a simple laptop computer feeding the Emotiva via USB and TV/AVR via HDMI? I am afraid I am also not very knowledgeable in terms of modern electronics and even computers - just enough to get by - kind of got stuck with 1980's knowledge  ;)

Your advice will be highly appreciated. Budget? I don't know.......like my dad answered a car salesman - "I want something as spacious as a Kombi, with the power of a Cadillac, the fuel consumption of a Mini and the price of a Beetle". Can I decide when I get there or whatever it takes?