Knowledge Sharing

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfq

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Okay, now that I am here, it would seem that there is some value, at last in posting all I know about electronics.
I have tried, in the past, various channels:

* Writing a book about how to design audio equipment (no takers, not even Elektor Publishing were interested)
* Self-publishing (due to the costs involved, its never been an option- remember I live basically from hand to mouth now because of failed business ventures and people cheating me out of money).
The book I did start in 2012, but it stopped after the FM receiver design chapter, mainly due to being a practicing engineer, and we all know what kind of job that is- worse than a emergency room medic.

I recognize a lot of user names here from MyBroadband.co.za, and I just hope, actually I sincerely pray, that the childish behavior and daily racial diatribe of that forum, as well as the cyber-bullying, doesn't take place here. I am hesitant, and cautiously optimistic. This is the first and last time I will mention that forum, I just wanted to make it clear how I feel.

There are a number of projects I aim to tackle in the next 12-24 months. My main motivation is to ensure that my hard-won knowledge doesn't die with me. It is also because I need some new kit. I have sold my house and I am moving into considerably smaller digs, the main reason is that there will be no bond payments, no rent, and none of my hard-earned cash going into FNB's pocket linings and their CEO's extravagant lifestyle.

The first project I am working on is already the headphone amplifier. I designed the power stages a few weeks ago, this coming week, I am planning to continue, but, its more than this, its all the little tricks of engineering, all the calculations, all the stuff that makes it successful that I want to share. My three best friends are a) My HP 35s calculator, b) my education, and c) my spice simulation package.

The headphone amplifier came about because, after having been removed from noisy environments at work (coming from industrial -> corporate desk job with a very quiet environment), my hearing has recovered and I can now hear the noise and THD introduced by my trusty Technics amplifier of 20 years. I also cannot tolerate the average quality of the D/A converter on board my desktop computers.

If there is any advice I can give anyone, it would be this:

Do not turn your hobby or your passion, into a career in this country. Unless it is something not related to electronics or computing science, don't do it.

Latest posts