In market for new vehicle

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorneDJ

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
OK. Those that know my setup know that I effectively work from home, and that my 14 year old bakkie normally stand inside the garage on a trickling charger to prevent the battery from dying. I drive around mainly for business about once a week, but at times once every month (the reason for the charger). At times I give the bakkie to a person in the company to drive around, mainly to get the old girl moving and see the world. I use it a few time a year to travel a distance (cape, natal), again for work, where I would do a round trip of about 3,000 - 7,000 km over one or two weeks. About once a month I will hook up a camping trailer and do the family camping/fishing thing. The engine died at 80,000 and again on 160,000, and I had it redone each time. I believe that it is the injectors that gets dirty, starts a drip on the pistons then it burns a hole through the piston. About R25,000 a pop. Since then I have taken my bakkie to Northern Diesel every 50,000 - 60,000 kms to check the fuel system.

It's got 360,000 kms on the clock, and after a small prang last year I had the whole bakkie resprayed, all dents fixed etc. It is an Isuzu KB280 DT LX (dbl cab). It is not perfect, and during long trips a bit tiring (not as bad as a Toyota though :) ) and the engine is rather loud ... speak of listening fatigue ...

The workshop that service my bakkie every few thousand kms recently commented that the bakkie is getting a bit long in the tooth for the long trips, and actually offered me the full book-value of R37,000 for it (cash). The bakkie well maintained, and they have my full service record.

The bakkie however was borrowed this morning, and I then received a call that the bakkie was standing at a fuel station and does not want to start. After wasting 2 hours of my time driving there just to be called (almost at the garage) telling me that the bakkie was operational as they traced the issue to the immobilizer. Naturally I am slightly p%$^ed, but the drive allowed me to think about the issue.

I do not know whether I should keep the bakkie and use it in the business, or just get rid of it. After 14 years I am rather attached to it.

Problem is I cannot decide on a replacement vehicle. I am not brand loyal, and the following factors are important:
  • Drive comfort. I am not used to driving large distances every day, so, if I drive around it should be very comfortable
  • Space inside. When I do measurements I may take up to 6 pieces of equipment with (each in a security case of about 300x400x600 mm), a few bags, and a number of 5 m poles on the roof. I do not want to travel around with a trailer.
  • It should be able to tow a camping trailer. Now based on this most people might say any Land Rover would suffice, but while an amazing vehicle, I think it is too high, I never do 4x4 stuff, too expensive on fuel and little packing space inside
  • Safety. My family is with me. Enough said.

Typical cars I will consider, in order of preference are:
- Station wagon
- Bakkie with canopy
- Land Rover

I actually like the Volvo stationwagon, but the BWM or Merc station wagons would also fulfill most of my criteria. I understood from online reviews that the Audi station wagon is a bit underpowered. I just do not know how well these vehicles can tow.

Any input, recommendations and reasons will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Morne

Latest posts