I hate Squeezebox. Actually, I hate computer designers

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

u235

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is a rant. It is in the general Section because i am looking for sympathy, not advice.

Some background - I started programing in Assembler in 1979, through fortran, Cobol, Pl1, Pascal, Natural and VB. I haven't progammed since 2005, but I was good at it.

I recently decided to go digital with my music. Being sick of  big kit including turntables, two amplifiers (one for stereo, one for Movies) two sets of speakers, a tape decik, a VHS, a Blu-ray player, decoder and all the rest of the stupid paraphernalia. Plus bloody cables everywhere, multi-drop power supplies, cabinets not quite big enough or too big, redundant cables from the DSTV installation...............

So the first step was to get a SQueezebox. Tried to digitize all my analogue music (couldn't digitise videos, as the Blu-ray won't play the ripped sound format. Thew the videos away.) Too tedious to digitise all the tapes, threw them away. Too tedious to digitise all the albums, stashed them back in the cupboard. So much for that.

Ripped all the CDs to FLAC and put them on a hard drive connected to my notebook. Now the sh!t starts. The ADSL router's wireless (which runs my home network) can't reach the playroom, so the Squeezebox can't talk to the notebook, it needs a jumper access point! Discussed what I wanted with the store, bought a D-Link router. No, the D-Link can't talk to the ADSL! So I can either sign my notebook onto the ADSL router to print and access the internet, or I can disconnect from the ADSL wireless and connect to the D-Link! Who designed this bloody thing? The D-link has to live in the dining-room on the piano because that is the only place where both the notebook and the Squeezebox can see it!

Now to connect.

The installation process for the Squeezebox is impossible! How the hell am I to know what my DNS server is? What is a DNS server? Why do I need a 12-digit primary gateway, and IP addresses for all these devices? Or, granted that I do, why isn't there an easy way to find/allocate all this SH1T? Why, to use a music product, do I need to take a goddamn course in networking?  Who designed this bloody thing?
\
Why, when I am writing this, won't the print in the window stand still so I can see what I have typed? How DARE the writing dip into invisibility below the window edge? Who designed this bloody thing?

Eventually I got the thing working. I discovered which of the millions of interminable codes had to be set up on which device, what would be auto-assigned and what wouldn't. A whole afternoon RTFMing. Then thesignal strength wasn't good enough. The Squeezebox pauses while it buffers or downloads, ruinning the music totally. Nice DAC I suppose. The clunky iuser interface always drove me berserk. How to find something? How to find which version of something you had found?  Who designed this bloody thing? One goddamn character at a time.

So I got myself another notebook. Copied the music I want onto its hard drive, trundled over to the Squeezebox, found a place for yet another power plug and connected the ethernet cable. Now to get the Squeezebox going - no more bandwidth issues, one D-Link router in the bin, happiness.

Oh no. ONLY TWO DEVICES connected by a cable, and we have to go through through the WHOLE DNS ROUTER, GATEWAY SERVER ADDRESS etc AGAIN!

Stuff it. If my kid can't make it work I'm selling it.

PC designers don't know what the f*ck they are doing. Cables everywhere, horrible interfaces, everything designed by lobotomised fools in Kazakhstan. I'd shoot any of my guys who produced this rubbish.

Stuff it. If my kid can't make it work I'm selling it. Squeezebox,notebook and D-Link for R2500.

AND WILL SOMEONE PLEASE FIX THIS USELESS EDITOR, or at least tell me what I'm doing wrong

t

t

Latest posts