How new cars trick you with pre-recorded engine noise

kinosfronimos

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Just going to leave this here.
Your new car's speakers aren't just for music...
Gobsmacking if it's to be beleived.

https://youtu.be/mP0cq8aLAFA

Sent from my MI CC 9 using Tapatalk

shadow.clone

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
It's been the case for quite some time. I really don't think it's the worst thing in the world for daily driven cars, but I my priorities aren't geared towards how cars sound outside (i.e. largely how they sound for others).

Sure, I would laugh at a 1L engine sounding like a V8, but no sane designer would do that. I'm talking about a reasonable middle ground where technologies like electronic engine sounds add to the overall experience. A case in point is the 330d - I've driven a friend's and it was a blast. It sounded great on the inside too. No doubt it used speakers to enhance the sound, but I was a happy chappy regardless. It doesn't turn heads like a M340i in sport mode, but I imagine it also doesn't produce loads of noise (pollution) either.

Many manufacturers use mechanical means like tuning resonances, piping induction sounds into the cabin, and using butterfly valves in exhaust. One could argue those are artificial too. Where do we draw the line? Again, it depends on one's priorities. Are you a purist, do you want to make a noise outside (to turn heads), do you care about the sound inside, etc.?

shadow.clone

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Staying on theme for this forum, Hans Zimmer helped design the sounds for the BMW i4.

Here's the marketing blurb: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNpeuQFfSlE and what it actually sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PPnuy0AYZ8&t=341s

muddda

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Yip...I have a fiesta st...it has valve which let's the engine noise into the cabin at higher rpms ...some owners block the valve with a shim...I don't mind it ....

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

oradba69

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
And then on the opposite side you have Range Rover now with active noise cancelation in their headrests.
https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto/cars/2021-range-rover-noise-cancelling-headrest-to-alexa-and-more-5-big-features-41635393475041.html

chrisc

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
My English cousin's VW ID-3 has a switch for engine sound, and you can hear it outside.  Otherwise the car is completely silent

Agaton Sax

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I really don't understand new cars: The Range Rover, I get: It is to cut out the dreadful noise of the 100% Engine bearing failing. An engineer once spent all night, excitedly telling me, how in your new AMG  Mercedes the engine tone is supplied by a speaker mounted near the rear wheel.

Nothing to do with sound but I once rented an Audi 35FSI. All excited by the 3.5 litre 6 I reached the top of Sir Lowrey's like an anaemic 85-year-old Emphysema sufferer. Not understanding, I stopped at Peregine to have a look at the lawnmower sized 1L  3 cylinder.

rodga

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
kinosfronimos said:
Just going to leave this here.
Your new car's speakers aren't just for music...
Gobsmacking if it's to be beleived.

https://youtu.be/mP0cq8aLAFA

Sent from my MI CC 9 using Tapatalk
definitely not a new thing
My 2010 mk6 gti also had a speaker pumping sound into the cabin. They called it "Soundaktor". I unplugged mine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soundaktor#

ron g

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
there is a logic to it though. deliver the engine noise, without the attendant road / wind noise of leaving the cabin uninsulated to let the engine noise in.
plus you can (probably?) switch it off if you prefer.

for me there is definitely an element of humour in letting a 3 cylinder sound like a v8.

gavinbirss

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Disconnecting the sound actuator may also increase driving pleasure by removing the artificial noise, letting one enjoy a quieter ride and being able to hear external sounds.

Hot hatches use this on the windscreen to amplify the sound.

Steve

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Modern engines, unless it's practically a free-breathing and -farting V8, simply don't make attractive noises anymore - because they're all strangled to death by stupid noise- and environmental-pollution laws. But the buyers still want that "racing" sound so that they can say to their simpleton friends, "Ja, no, well, my car's engine makes a lekker sound, hay." Those buyers couldn't care less about what powers the car as long as it sounds good. We see this with the true imbeciles who purposefully make their cars pop-and-bang on the overrun or downshifts. Unfortunately, these buyers (along with the ordinary buyers who don't give a flying continental about cars in general) represent the majority of the manufacturers' market so they have to appeal to them. There's nothing wrong with that aspect - business is business.

But for the enthusiasts, it's embarrassing. Luckily, we don't give an equally airborne continental about the noise- and environmental-pollution laws so we simply remove or switch off the actuators and windscreen vibrators (which is the Soundaktor referred to above - I'm not kidding) and give the car a proper exhaust instead.

EDIT: Gavin mentioned the windscreen vibrators already!

marantz123

AVForums Super Veteran
Staff member
Reaction score
I can just imagine....close to the service interval of a vehicle, or after warranty period, manufacturer programs additional "fault" noises to "encourage" the owner to take the car in for the service and resolve said noise....or suggest trade in for newer model.  :nono:  :puke:

The Eschatologist

AVForums Member
Reaction score
If my car is gonna play engine noises through the speakers at me, I at least want some options like V8, F1, truck, hyperdrive, etc 🤷‍♂️

DeonC

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ingvar Ahlberg said:
Far simpler to go this way, this car/engine does not need any tricks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdAtUNugz3E

Ingvar

The Lexus LC500 also doesn't need any tricks. It was tuned to sound good, and it really just does.

Lexus LC500 V8 noise

It seems to me Lexus and Toyota are really stepping up their game these days and delivering cars for the true enthusiasts. Witness the various Toyota GR variants, and cars like the abovementioned Lexus LC500, and others. It is still a good time to be a car enthusiast.

TimbaLand

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
My car is dead silent but you hear the rumbling of the V8 engine in the background. It?s so heavily dampened that even the windows are double glazed. You open the roof and put the foot down and it roars but still not obtrusive