Help with connecting subwoofer directly to TV

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raptr

Reaction score
If the title of this post made you cringe, I can explain.

I'm brand new to the world of home theater and, today, took the first step in building a system. I purchased 2 SVS SB 2000 pro subwoofers with the intention of hooking them up to my Samsung smart tv (again, only as the initial step with the other componentry to follow in due course).

Unfortunately my attempts failed utterly.

I unboxed one sub and tried connecting it via RCA cables to the TV (TV L + R audio-out to the respective subwoofer audio-in slots). No signal whatsoever. I then tried using a two into 1 RCA attachment and plugged the single cable into the subs LFE port. Same result.

Following a bout of googling, I then made sure the TV settings were set to PMI (signal) and that I had selected 'Eternal Speaker'. No dice.

Further wide-eyed bouts of research revealed that I may need to employ a DAC - digital to analog converter. What I understand is that I should connect a digital audio cable from the TV (Toslink) to the DAC converter box and then I can connect the RCA's from the DAC to the Sub.

Notwithstanding the fact that connecting Subs to a tv is an odious idea to begin with (yes, I deserve your contempt) - is the above solution likely to work?

Latest posts