HELP! Sub stuck in "standby-mode"

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaganMcLoud

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I'm having endless issues with a lazy Velodyne sub cutting out (going into standby mode.)  I need to crank volume to insane levels just to wake it up from it's peaceful slumber.  When eventually it decides to wake up it works beautifully btw... for approximately 8-10 minutes before retiring again.  Now, according to the manual it states specifically that some amplifier sub-outs have a weak signal and that this is quite normal.  Not very helpful at all  :whip: especially when they're aware of the issue and then choose to offer no bypass switch or on/off button, or any real solution for that matter.  Is it just my own dumb logic or should a subwoofer build need to conform to the general amplifier spec and not vice versa?  :walled: 

Any of the more experienced guys in HT know of a way to improve the signal from my pre sub-out?  It happens with both Bluray movies and stereo music from my PC.  I am using the AFD Auto feature on the AVR... but this happens in all other sound modes that support a sub as well. 

My amp is a Sony Str-DA2400 ES (7.1) And it must be from McDonald's cos' I'm loving it!
The sub is a Velodyne Impact 10.  It must be from Steers cos' it's starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth.   :giggle:

Now this is what I've tried so far..
DIFFERENT CABLES:  Prolink RCA,  Puresonic 75-ohm Coaxial, Some very thick generic RCA's, all connected with a Y-splitter at sub end.  No joy.
Also tried this with a different type Y-splitter at the amplifier end (based on some Google research that claimed a +3db gain from the sub-out by using this method.)  No joy!
AMP SETTINGS:  No SW-OUT level settings here so I raised (in manual speaker calibration) the sub output to +10db.  No joy!!
Turned DRC off. 
Reset the AMP to factory defaults and tried everything again.  No joy.
AVR HDMI SETTINGS: Set this to +10db  (my other options here were 0db or auto ) Tried 'em all.
FWIW...  I'm also bi-amping my front mains off the rear back channels.  Obviously not related but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Any advice will be appreciated.  :pray: