HDMI keeps losing signal - PC/Xbox -> Receiver -> Projector

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1am7h30n3

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to bounce some ideas off you and maybe get some advice.

My system setup is as follows:
PC/Xbox360 -> Marantz SR7005 receiver -> Optoma HD83 projector via HDMI.
Audio is passed over HDMI from Xbox360 -> receiver and via separate cable from PC -> receiver.

I often have issues where receiver will lose signal from PC, but I have also had the problem occasionally from Xbox.

When signal is lost, projector will usually display searching for a while and then go back to the Marantz desktop/splash screen thing, which makes me think that the problem is not between the receiver and the projector but rather between the sources and the receiver.

I am running different types/makes of cable between the PC->receiver and Xbox->receiver so I don't think it's a specific cable issue necessarily since both are giving problems.

I have checked the connectors and unplugged/replugged them a few times, doesn't seem to make a difference.

What I propose to do:
- run the PC->projector directly bypassing the receiver, this will indicate whether the problem is in the receiver or possibly the PC (and Xbox?!).
- if the above works then either replace the receiver or get an HDMI switcher.
- if it doesn't work then hmmmm, we'll re-visit this option at a later stage if required!

Sounds good? Any other ideas you guys would try? Thanks in advance for any ideas!

tl;dr - I have HDMI signal loss, propose to prove the receiver is the problem by going direct PC->projector.