Good vs Bad interface design

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarel.wagner

AVForums Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
The new NAD 50th Anniversary amp made me think of bad and good design. I have to confess, I am grumpy when it gets to using stuff, full of the you know what....

Let me drop a few pictures here:
6C4E8691-6376-441F-9898-AB91F5611289.jpeg.18efbaf8db1dc4d0c6fe8a3b91242b98.jpeg
9026842_orig.jpeg

It is easy to see and figure out what those knobs do, without even reading them labels on the Quad. The tuner, a single knob, changes stations, we all know that intuitively.
On the pre- the orange looking buttons and the dials with orange is related, also easy to figure out. The cream buttons in the middle, also easy, selecting a source. Those on the right, something for the righthand know if you look at the line pointing to it.

Clean, easy simple and the knob or button itself shows you what is on or off or selected with easy visual feedback.
The Luxman Amp is about the same sans colour coding. Easy to see the selectors are set to whatever they set to, or away from the detent position. Same for the volume knobs.

Now contrast that with the below. And no, I am not knocking the manufacturer or the quality of the product. This is just about the usability. Also, no not about them remotes, get oof yer butt and go change the settings, you have to flip the LP anyhow, no remote for that ;)
2b-ANUK-4.1x-CD-player.jpeg

These buttons are tiny, and provide no g'damn feedback, did I press that or not.... I almost cannot read that without glasses, never mind from a distance. And no, its not about this product, it could be an amp or any other product. LCD type touch screens work just fine on mobile phones, but these are a challenge on lotsa other equipment. In my opinion, a bad choice in most cases. And then you get LCD based VU meters, gawdafull I tel ya. And yes I get the thing, they respond instantly. But then, VU is not an instant response thing, it is damped. Also get the touch screen thing, on phones yes, other equipment there are other choices. And why blue everything, it seems to be a thing.... 🤷‍♂️

Groetnis

Latest posts