Garrard 401 plinth for ... ME!

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fdlsys

R.I.P 03/2024 Vinylist, DIYer
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Since the G.301 is in the listening & enjoying domain till next weekend and woodwork being contagious, I started with long overdue G.401 plinth.
Lessons learned from the G.301 - I will be going for the 2-part plinth, top one the same as G.301 - 3-layer (medium mass) birch ply, bottom one made as a more-less conventional box-plinth. Well, almost. You'll see when I get there. Squash balls for sure. Roller bearing feet for the bottom part (eventually...)

Here we go.

This time, I decided right from the start NOT to fall for the original template so I optimised the 1st layer already. Here:

G.401 fits like a glove, and perfectly square with sides. Barely a 1-2mm gap all around the "platter rim" on the underside of the top-plate.

G.401 is very different from the G.301 on how the top-plate is screwed to the plinth, so making sure that drill points are 100% correct took some time. Turned out, positions marked from the "original" template were perfect!

Then came the 2nd layer optimisation. Like a fine gentlemen suits tailor...

Discovery of another "Original" template bugger up.
G.401 gearbox cage has been carefully re-positioned by the engineers to completely fit inside the perimeter of the underside "platter rim", which I, thought by the G.301 experience, carefully double checked BEFORE I started cutting.
However, something had to give on the other side :( Moving the gearbox cage meant that the motor cage is now slightly to the "out" (East). Only noticed how critically close the motor cage is to the "wall" once I had the 1st layer already cut. Not a biggie, simple fix.

And that's where I had to finish for today. 21:30 is way to late for electric tools...

Latest posts