Thorens TD-124 DD 140th Anniversary Addition

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baseline

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
A short while back, someone posted the new Thorens Reference Deck, which I thought looked like a cheap imitation of the original lacking the character and gravitas the original conveyed. Likewise, the updated Linn Sondek LP12, whilst understated in appearance, is somewhat clinical and lacking sizzle. From a visual / aesthetic point of view, I would have to say I love the new Thorens TD-124 DD deck which will be limited to 140 units with a price tag of €11,999 each.

It is truly spectacular and careful consideration has gone into the upgrades in order to retain the original appeal. One visible upgrade at first glance is the new two-layer platter, which connects the already heavy aluminum platter of the 124 DD with a five-millimeter-thick layer of solid copper. The sonic success of this measure is not solely due to the increased mass but also the interaction of two different materials whose resonances cancel each other out. The TP-124 tonearm in the Anniversary version, is rewired with high-purity silver wire, connecting the cartridge to the outputs which is believed to make a positive impact with low-output moving coil (MC) cartridges. A fairly unique addition is the option of balanced and un-balanced connections directly on the deck. Direct drive motor with external power supply. For a harmonious overall impression, the plinth and the armboard, have been enhanced with high-gloss lacquered and hand-polished wood.

My only concerns with the new deck are as follows: Will one have to contend with the copper tarnishing? Won't vinyl get scratched lying directly on the copper and what are the sonic implications of not having a rubber, felt or cork mat.

Thorens TD-124 DD Anniversary Model 1.jpg
Thorens TD-124 DD Anniversary Model 2.jpg

Thorens TD-124 DD Anniversary Model 3.jpg