Garrard 301 advice

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ara

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
So I recently picked up this Garrard 301 from Durban (Grease bearing hammertone grey). Put the power cable on for the first time today and started it up after making sure everything is sort of in working condition. Was quite happy to find that it run first time without the slightest noise from anything.

IMG_1110.JPG

IMG_1111.JPG

IMG_1113.JPG

IMG_1114.JPG

I also got the following tonearm with the Garrard and paid in total R2k for the table and arm  ;D. Anyone got some information on the arm or can identify it?

IMG_1119.JPG

IMG_1117.JPG

IMG_1120.JPG

Now to some questions on the Garrard and what member recommend (have gotten a lot of info already but would like to here the local member's opinion are and it makes it easier as they will suggest something that is locally available):
1. What grease is recommended for the main bearing?
2. Do I first clean the bearing and add new grease or do I just fill-up the grease?
3. What can I use to clean the switch linkage (the metal arms that goes from the switches to the motor to change speed settings and switch on and off)?
4. Do I also after cleaning them grease the various pivot points?
5. What should I do with the motor if anything. It is running very quite and smooth?
6. What is the best place to get various springs from and is it okay to replace some of them on the Garrard (some of them seems a little stretched like the tensions spings on the idle wheel)?
7. Any other advice from members but remember I want to keep it as close to 100% original.
8. Anyone got maybe an e-mail address for Dr Martin Bastin or can recommend a good place to get replacement switches (Power and Speed)?