FYI >>> New Surround Sound Formats

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spurge

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
What follows has been copied in from AVSforum.com threads >>>DTS Neo X vs Dolby Atmos and speaker placement

Hi all, looking for your collective help

Having a bit of a problem deciding how to layout the speakers in new theater room. I have the new Marantz AV7702 and have been reading trough the manual for speaker placement, it has me confused. Looks like I can go 7.1.4 , or 9.1.2. From what I gather, and this may be worng, 7.1.4 is DTS NeoX and 9.1.2 is Atmos. The speakers are in different places, so how does one decide which would be best for the future (or even present).

Only a few blurays on Atmos at present, I dont even think Ive seen DTS Neo, but I notice that when playing AppleTV the amp defaults to DTS Neo X.

HELP please DO any of you have some advice as to which approach to take?

Oh, and of course there is the 3rd option, AUra 3D, which is a 3rd placement again!

Cheers,

Vic

***************************************************************************************

DTS NeoX is different from Atmos, this is correct. Go for the Atmos layout is my recommendation. NeoX contains additional "created" channels; atmos also got this possibility (but better). In addition you have the real atmos supported blu-ray movies.

7.1.4 is also used for atmos. 11.1 or 9.1 is usually refered to for neox

Ceiling channel for Aura3D is usually 1; I think most processors supporting both atmos and Aura3D will be able to use the ceiling speakers from atmos for the 1 ceiling channel in Aura3D. Personally I think Aura3D is a dead on arriaval format after introduction of Atmos. DTS's own "Atmos" will most likely have the same layout as Atmos.

Vic,

With direct-firing speakers, you can configure the pre/p;ro as 9.1.4 for compatible Atmos and DTS Neo:X use, but only 11 speakers will be active at the same time. So long as you use direct-firing speakers, the unavoidable incompatible speaker locations are the Auro-3D Surround Heights vs the Atmos rear overheads. If you use Dolby Atmos-enabled upfiring reflective speakers, there are more incompatibilities, of course.

If you configure the pre/pro to use 13 speaker channels including Front Wides, Front Heights and one of the allowed Atmos rear overhead pairs, Atmos and DSU will use all but the Front Wides, while DTS Neo:X will use all but the rear overheads. Front Height speakers are allowed by all of the 3D audio systems. Of course, if you choose to use only Dolby's Top speaker locations, they're incompatible with the other systems.

By default, the D+M Atmos-capable AVRs and pre/pros use the DTS Neo:X upmixer when they're decoding a DTS soundtrack. You can change that setting so Dolby Surround is the default, though, which is what many people do.

There are a handful of BDs which have DTS Neo:X soundtracks (with 11 matrixed channels), about the same number as currently available Atmos BDs. It seems unlikely that there will be any more Neo:X BDs, though.

***********************************************************************************

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor1239 View Post

From what I gather, and this may be worng, 7.1.4 is DTS NeoX and 9.1.2 is Atmos.
Neo:X is up to 9.1.2 (7.1 plus wides plus heights). Atmos can be 9.1.2 (7.1 plus wides plus heights) or 7.1.4 (7.1 plus two pairs of heights). 

Sanjay Durani

************************************************************************************

Great help, thanks to all that replied, I really appreciate it!!! I think you have made me decide on Atmos set up, with the addition of front heights.

Selden Ball, I looked at the capabilities of the AV7702 and it does look like this pre/pro will switch between speakers based on track detected. Seems the best way to go.

Thanks again!!

Vic

*************************************************************************************

I am still experimenting with different speaker layouts; however, having added Front Wide speakers last year, I know at the very least I will not be giving them up as they very nicely fill a void in the front sound stage. The nice thing about the new Denon and Marantz AVRs is that you can connect up to 13 speakers (using additional external amps) and so still have a standard 7.1.4 Atmos setup and still keep Front Wides in the setup for use with DTS Neo:X surround mode and Atmos BDs. With this configuration, it won't matter whether I prefer DTS Neo:X over DSU as I have the option to select either one.

*************************************************************************************

PS: As I posted previously the DTS:X demo at Las Vegas CES in Jan 2015 used 20 discrete channels.

Anyone planning to go these routes? and to what extent?

Spurge

Latest posts