Fostex HP-A8C flagship DAC / headphone amp / preamp group buy

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tachyon

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
149 million km from the sun (Joburg, specifically)
Hi all :)

I'm going to be ordering a couple of these, and would be happy to organise for any forum members:

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/HP-A8C.shtml

FostexHP-A8C.jpg

Fostex isn't very well known outside of pro audio circles here in SA, but I've been a fan of their stuff for quite some time. Excellent made in Japan quality, with decades of experience. I had their HP-A3 headamp DAC combo a while back, and it punched well above its weight. This new model is the result of years of development and leverages a lot of what Fostex know about pro audio into an awesome flagship consumer item. I've been waiting for ages for the blasted thing to be released.

High-end discrete headphone amplifier, excellent DAC and remote-control preamp (defeatable) functions all in one. And for the high-res audio guys it's one of the few devices that supports DSD over USB as well as via an SD card slot. From the site:

High fidelity 32bit D/A converter (Asahi Kasei's AK4399) and all discrete analog circuitry headphone amplifier.
Complies with USB Audio Class 2.0 up to 32bit / 192kHz (24bit on Windows)
Asynchronous mode by highly precise TCXO (Temperature Compensated Cristal Oscillator) clock.
Highly precise level adjustment by an electronic volume designed for audio equipment.
Large capacity toroidal power transformer.
Built-in SD (SDHC) card drive for epoch-making DSD file (DSF format) reproduction in addition to the firmware update.
Selectable between internal clock and the external clock (except for USB and SD card)
Built-in up-sampling function of x2 and x4 (can be disabled)
Digital Filter selection between conventional "sharp roll-off" and the "minimum delay" developed by Asahi Kasei to eliminate pre-echo.
Direct Out mode bypassing the volume control circuit. Variable headphone amplifier's gain from 0dB to -12dB by 0.5dB step for perfect match with any type of headphones.
Various inputs including USB, AES/EBU, Coaxial, Optical (x2) and analog RCA. A dedicated Remote Controller is supplied.
Beautiful white Organic LED for the display

US retail is $2400, online prices around $2000 - on this order the cost is R15 700 all said and done. This includes shipping in SA and some exhange rate leeway - should they come in any cheaper I'll refund the difference.

A full local warranty applies  ^-^. PM me with any questions.

<edit> I can also arrange Fostex's ultra-high-end TH-900 headphones if anyone is keen

Latest posts