Forum DAC project

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbyleveldt

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
As mentioned previously in the Headphone thread, I've been tinkering with a DAC for a while. I didn't know that this project would create this much interest so have not mentioned till now.

Anyway, as I would like to have a DAC that would allow me to explore many different configurations, I've decided to go for a modular approach. I want to be able to use this as a testing/experimentation platform while still ensuring the best performance possible. This problem has been mulling over in my head for a while now, so I've come up with the following configuration:

1. To have a 'motherboard' that would contain the DAC and the required PSU components for other possible subcircuits. Also, as I want to re-use this for other applications (and I'm not sure what I would need), I need it to be configurable. Interfacing to the outside world will be via plug in modules that would provide the required functionality. This is the only way to keep it flexible enough to suit everybody. I aim to also expand this further to allow for additional functionality as people start participating.
2. It needs to deliver specifications close to what is indicated in the various datasheets. For this to be possible, I'm forced to go with SMD parts and double layer boards. This excludes a home brew board and as a first project for noobs (heh, sorry).
3. A lot of what was done is based on what has been done by others and what is suggested in the various datasheets. Hopefully this would guarantee expected results (or, at least, something that works).

I'm posting this here for suggestions and critique from others hoping that we can make this work for most people. I'm not going to pretend to be a fundi on this, so please, if there is anything that looks a little dodgy please let me know!

Cheers

Gert