Flac vs alac, iTunes vs JRiver

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok - decided to do an experiment, and somewhat supprised by the result.

Reason:  I've been looking to upgrade my Apple TV Gen1,  to the new pending generation, then was maddened to find out they've removed the optical out, and won't allow use of USB digital out.

This use of my CA DACMagic (that I'm quite attached to) goes out the window.

So I did the following

ALAC -> Apple TV gen1 ->  Toslink -> CA DACMagic (original) -> amp / speakers

VS

FLAC -> JRiver -> Windows 8.1 -> HP Laptop -> USB ->  CA DACMagic (original) -> amp / speakers

Sampling rate is 44.1 throughout

Now to all intents and purposes, my understanding is that (rhetoric, ego, brand hating, psychology and technicalities aside),  there really shouldn't be any difference between the two in terms of sound.

However, I'm finding that FLAC definitely sounds different, and annoyingly I'm kind of liking it.  My immediate reaction was that it was psychological, so brought the wife in and did some testing, a/b'ing etc..  :angrywife:

There is a difference, I can perceive it.  It appears to have a fraction more detail (on some recordings), and the sound stage feels/sounds deeper.

Don't get me wrong, ALAC doesn't sound cr@p by any means, just there is that infinitesimal improvement we keep looking for... 

Only difference on the DAC is moving from optical to USB.

I'd really like to hear your comments, experiences etc on this.

Thanks all