Entry level music system.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigboy529

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm quite new to this side of the audio world and need some recommendations.

I want to get some decent kit for my man cave, I have a TV in it, but I'm not much of a TV or movie guy, so I guess surround sound isn't that important, but music is, I love music, I love good music. I mostly consume my music digitally via Apple music and my personal collection on hard drive. If I watch TV then it's also streaming Showmax, Netflix etc and I also have DSTV but that's mostly for sport.

So I please need some advice on where to start.
* Do I get a stereo system for now and see how things go, then maybe get a surround system later?
* Do I already make provision for a surround system now but only get 2 speakers and add the others later?
* Or do I go for a 5.1 system from the start, even though it will probably be lower quality than just a stereo system at my budget?

If possible I want to do this in stages, I browsed the classifieds and see 5.1 speaker packages are to be had for less than R4K or so, then if possible add a amp for say R4 - R5K, so will something like this be possible for less than or absolute max R10K for a farely decent entry level system?

The next question is, must I get a straight forward amp whether 5.1 or stereo, or must I get more like a AV receiver type thing with built in HDMI, wifi, streaming capability etc?

* Adding a media pc in to the mix isn't out of the question, I already have a unused pc lying around in parts which I can use.
* I can also add something like a Apple TV in to the mix for the streaming part, I'll also see what the Apple Homepod brings to the party when that gets released next year.

Any advice appreciated