Emotiva UMC-1 + Mi Box 3

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerhard

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I have owned an Emotiva UMC-1 processor for many years and it has served me OKish so far (I am not blown away by it by any means, the amps on the other hand are great). It has served in a 2 channel role for several years until a few days ago when I rigged it up in a full 5.1 setup again. Much to my dismay did I find out that all but one of the services I used through my Mi Box 3 (not S) were 2 channel only. I have not noticed this until now since I didn't need it.

[list type=decimal]
[*]DSTV Now - 2 channel. I know (now) that DSTV Now definitely only supports 2 channel audio. :headbanger:
[*]Youtube - 2 channel
[*]Google play movies - 2 channel
[*]Netflix - multi channel
[/list]

My initial suspicion was that it was the Mi Box. The UMC showed that it was receiving PCM 48KHz 2 channel audio for everything except Netflix where it showed multi channel PCM.

Then I hooked up my Mac Mini to the system and tried again. Now EVERYTHING was 2 channel - even Netflix (played through Chrome). But, here is the confusing part, the UMC showed that it was receiving multi channel PCM audio, yet no sound was coming from the sub, center speaker or surrounds.

All audio was fed through HDMI with Mac Mini and the Mi Box.

What is weird to me is this, I have heard Youtube in full surround sound in my brother's system. He has a MARANTZ SR5013 with a Google Chromecast. I don't know if it is either of these two or the combination that makes it work.

I'd appreciate if anyone can shed some light on the subject for me.

Thanks,
Gerhard

Latest posts