Electronic Components - Situational Update

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfq

AVForums Member
Reaction score
This is a heads-up as to what is going on out there.

It has become virtually impossible to get samples of electronic components now.

Now, recall I have been an engineer for just over a decade, and I have direct accounts with the likes of Texas Instruments, and others.

Last year I was still able to request samples. This year, all of that changed. Now when you attempt to do this, you are immediately referred to the online portal of Digi-key or whatever their authorized online reseller is. Now you have to pay for your samples, but that's not all, you are now subject, in many cases, to MOQs which, at the shockingly bad exchange rate, make it not worth any effort at all. The shipping bites, makes it totally impractical.

At first I thought it was just TI, until I tried Cirrus Logic for a digital audio receiver for my headphone amp.. same story.

I am of the conclusion that the United States is planning to hit us with sanctions. I say this, because if you register a new account and claim you are from another country, your sample order proceeds to the checkout stage. No redirection to Digi-key. What also make me sure of this, is, in many cases, the thing suddenly changes from order sample to "NOT AVAILABLE" once you are logged in and they see you are from SA.

It seems that, the Americans do not take too kindly to Zuma's regime and are quietly starting to impose restrictions on us. Now as I recall, this was how it was back in the bad old days too.

Because of this, it is now a case of I have to take whatever I can get from the local stores, and I am now also resorting to using my overseas family to get things, which means everything takes much longer.