Dolby Vision and the full chain

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msch997

AVForums Member
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
I have been researching this and I may know the answer but would like confirmation from those more in the know than me here please.

I have a Samsung QLED Q80R TV 4K HDR etc
The support is for  HDR10 and not Dolby Vision on this device when using the native netflix app on the TV.  Support is for HDR10+ with the native amazon prime App.

My Question is if one uses the netflix app on a Dolby Vision supporting device (Nvidia shield Pro etc) and the video being streamed is a HDR Dolby Vision video and the Dolby Vision supporting device is plugged into an HDCP 2.2 supported HDMI port of an AVR which supports Dolby Vision Processing (Denon AVR X4500H) and the AVR into the HDCP 2.2 supported HDMI port on the TV would the Dolby Vision HDR picture be displayed on the Samsung panel or will it still just be normal HDR10?

I am presuming the answer is the latter ie just HDR10 as the full chain ie every device in the chain (AVR, Nvidia Shield, and the Samsung TV) needs to support Dolby Vision?