DAC Suggestions

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanghailoz

AVForums Member
Reaction score
So, I'm looking for a decent DAC while I'm still in Shanghai.
Been looking at the ESS9018 options, and the AK4495.

Rand:RMB is 2:1 sigh :(

Gustard X12 is reasonable at RMB2380, and reviews well.
Next one up in their series is the Gustard X20U is 3700RMB (slightly discounted at the moment as it just came out here).
Dual ES9018's, and balanced output, but I don't really like the design that much. 
Looks a bit like a Yulong DA8, which I also rate as ugly.

TB23XMOdXXXXXc9XXXXXXXXXXXX-125808208.jpg

TB2vio1dXXXXXarXXXXXXXXXXXX-125808208.jpg

My other thoughts are the nicer looking Aune S16 - slightly more expensive though at RMB3980 odd.

Yet another option is the Soundaware A280C (dedicated audio player with upnp support, and a built in DAC.
32bit/192hz.  Also ES9018 based.  Shop will also throw in a few terabytes of audio if I order.  Also in the same price range - RMB3950

If I had $$ to spend I'd probably look at the Oppo HA-1, but alas with the rand being what it is...

I don't need the headphone amp, but size / weight is moderately important (as I need to lug it back).
Will mainly be tied to a Mac Mini.  Don't have any DSD/ DOP stuff, although I have been downloading a couple of files to test out on Vox or Audiovarna.  Have a bunch of FLAC around, but I can always redownload or re-encode from CD again worst case.

Also in a similar price range is the Auralic mini, but that has no screen.

Thoughts / recommendations?

I'm leaning to the Aune, but I can be swayed.

Latest posts