DAC questions

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigEd

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
From another thread... :eek:

BigEd said:
Ok, I'll start off admitting I am mostly befuddled by electricity, electronics, etc. I am a mainframe computer programmer by trade so I have hardly even seen a real life version of the "computer" I work on. I know a little of many things but electronics not really.

So i have a Bose Lifestyle 12 system circa 1995 (I got it for free). Yes, I know there are newer and nicer HT systems out there, but this one is still fine to me.

I went and bought me a new Saamsing TV which don't have RCA sound output anymore, just digital. Because i have so many things (satellite, blueray, vcr (long story that), I thought the best would be to take the sound from the TVs digital out and stick that into the Bose LS. I got one of these for cheap (maybe that's the problem)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201089441487?var=500266386231&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
but sometimes the sound works and sometimes it doesn't.

I have 3 main questions:

1. Will the input on the Bose LS play a role? i.e. Aux/Video/Tape etc?

2. The cheapness of my DAC could be the issue, more than likely is the issue. Any other budget alternative options around?

3. Should I use a DAC at all? Is there an alternative "cable" option?

If this is the wrong place to ask these questions, I apologize in advance.