Cutting precise holes for drivers and ports

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smitty

Reaction score
Hi

I am building a pair of these speakers and, while I got a bit delayed, the cabinets need to come together:
http://www.donhighend.de/?page_id=6034

However I am wondering how to make the three holes for the drivers in the front and single port hole in the back panel.

I assume this is usually done with a router rather than a hole saw, especially as two of the three driver holes are recessed by 4.2mm. However I lack a router, appropriate bits and experience using one so I was wondering what is the best way to get this done.

I am pretty sure it is better to cut the wholes first before assembling the cabinets in case of a mistake.

One option is to buy a (used) router and figure out what bits are required, buy the its, practice on some scrap wood, have some spare front and back panels and then try my luck.

Another option might be to find a place in Cape Town (preferably Montague Gardens - Paarden Eisland side)  that can cut the grand total of 8 holes.

Any other ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Latest posts