Couch Repair scam - any advise?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetalMilitia

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Soooo last year December I decided that our leather couch could do with some refurbishing, it has numerous cat scratch marks and my sweet spot for stereo is starting to sag quite a bit

Called around a bit and saw some adverts on Gumtree regarding couch repairs, one being just around the corner from me here in Kempton Park. Spoke to the owner Alvin Naicker of Alvin Furniture Manufactureres and arranged for him to come over to my place and quote me. He popped around soon afterwards and gave a reasonable quote for the repairs and to build a matching ottoman.

It should have rang a bell but he needed 75% deposit upon collection of the couches and the remainder when he delivers them again. He showed me many pictures of furniture he has manufactured and refurbished and said i can come have a look at his shop before committing. I was dumb not to  :nutter: and instead paid the man in good faith and off went my couches.... ( i wouldn't usually do such a thing but the man seemed like a good honest chap)

Fast forward a few weeks (repair was to be done in 8 days) and Alvin does not want to answer his cell phone (of which i have 2 numbers he used previously), this is after not getting a reply to an email i sent requesting an update on when the couches will be done.
This morning i get fed up with being ignored so i send him a threatening email (anger got the better of me) and only after this did i get a response and very promptly might i add

His story is that his shop had been burgled and all the leather, timber and machinary had been taken  :thinking:
Apparently my couch wasn't stolen and he will pay me back the repair money on the weekend. I told him this is fine but that i want to collect my couch as soon as possible but he won't tell me where it is and the address on his business card belongs to a block of flats in Long Street Kempton Park. I went there with local security chaps but no one knows of an Alvin Naicker and there is no couch repair shop in sight.

He sent me a mail a few minutes ago stating that he is now in Durban all of a sudden and will make plan to transfer the money back and give me my couch over the weekend. I smell BS and don't want to give him any extra time to scheme and get away with it

I'm sure other forum members have been in a similar situation, could someone please point me in the right direction and is there something i can do?
I do have his registration number, Standard Bank account details, email, cell no's etc
Do i open a case of fraud with Standard Bank after opening a docket at the police station?...which i'm sure will all be done in vain hence why i'm looking at other options

This is one that i will not let slide and if i have to spend some more money to get my goods back i will. It's a R25 000 leather couch and the repair monies i paid him upon collection was over R4000 so it's not small change to me

Freaking hell i was furious earlier but some Rodriguez and boerie rolls is slowly calming me down....some people!  :walled:

Latest posts