Big Ugly Tannoy Build

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afroaudio

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Thought I'd better try to document this process a bit here, this is only my second speaker build and I need to learn from some of the masters out there.

After a bit of reading and research I settled on constructing a golden ratio baltic birch cabinet of around 120 liters net for my Tannoy 12"HPD drivers. The drivers have been in the smallish Devon cabs up until now (these are about 46 liters I think) and sounded great in those but I couldnt stop wondering how the drivers would do given a bit of breathing space.

Baltic birch was ordered and cut, a friend mitred up the "frames" and I then got busy with a saw, some screws, glues and some Meranti. The front baffle is double thick 18mm ply for the most part.

HPD315 Box Build by Bregtje Cals, on Flickr

Bracing by Bregtje Cals, on Flickr

Bracing in place I decided on 2 layers of 4mm bitumen to damp panel resonances. The first layer didnt seem to do much but the second layer had quite an effect from a knuckle test.

20160613_154306[1] by Bregtje Cals, on Flickr

Have been busy sealing the cabs with polyurethane, next steps will be lining the cabs with felt, sorting out the backboards then of course mounting the drivers and crossovers.

I almost forgot the other important step, figuring out the port length and tuning! I have used some online calculators which tell me to aim for around 13cm long on my 10cm dia port tube. I might need some assistance with this actually... any Cape Town members with measurement mic etc that might be able to assist? I'll probably get around to this only in July some time.

Tx for looking!  comments and criticism welcome :O0: