TAD 2402 replica - done and dusted

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanjammy

AVForums Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Just a quick share of my latest project, before it goes to its new home. Not sure if it?s DIY, since the bulk of the heavy lifting was done by Rob, but it?s an unqualified success, which has many fathers?

The project started with a Yuichi 290 horn that I had built as a prototype (the production unit is made from hardwood, so wanted to get the process right). It was very rough, made from cheap ply, but sounded decent.

I also had tons of drivers lying around. An RCF ND850 1.4 and Beyma 15p80nd felt like a good combo.

So I dropped everything at Rob, alongside some explicit design notes, a whole ton of birch ply, and a set of 18 inch 18Sound woofers I wanted a rough enclosure for testing.

Bear in mind that Rob was busy with the Decware Zens, finishing off my RLK build, and a project for Stu. So I was only moderately surprised when the 2402s were delivered with 18 inches instead of 15s.

They looked beautiful, and theoretically the enclosure volume was ideal, so I set about running the speakers in and designing the crossovers. Many many hours of tweaking, asking mates for opinions.

Fast forward to today, when I finally finished them off after someone rudely decided to buy them earlier. My goodness, they are special. I?m
Not going to go on about the sound, other than to say they sound every bit as good as they look.

Next up is finishing the RLKs to see if Ingvar is as clever as I suspect.

7551ecedb95811f1a434f8e24699b963.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk