Best method to store and play digital files.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOC

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Hope this is in the correct section.

Ok, here goes, currently I have a Hp microserver n40l (With a graphics card - hdmi) which I use as a htpc to play all my media files (Xbmc).
Now that I have decided to build a stereo system(taking longer than I expected, I'm getting all the tot glasses in a row before I shoot), I was wondering what is the best way to store and play music digitally.

Budget: Probably the cost of a Microserver, (I know its not much, but with semi decent results for my home theatre set-up, I don't see the need to spend any more depending on the answers I get :facepalm:)

So after all that nonsense:-
If I buy another Microserver, install xbmc and get a usb dac with audio out and a usb wifi dongle (to control the pc via the xbmc app, got a spare android phone for this), will that work? So no monitor, will I be able to see the playlist on the remote application?

I am sure there are simpler ways of getting this done? Any advice please? Please take into account that I will be using a stereo amp with no networking capabilities so I am assuming a usb dac is my only option?

I do have a wireless adsl modem/router so if possible, what are my streaming options, if any?
This really has given me a headache.

Thanks in advance.

Latest posts