B&W 603 S2 - New Speaker surrounds

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stu_Mack

AVForums Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if this counts as DIY, if not please move or delete it.

A while back I noticed that the surrounds on all 4 drivers on my B&W 603 S2's were cracked and torn. Considering it as all 4 I put it down to old age.

Cue the on again off again search for new surrounds and getting quotes on getting the job done.
Out sourcing the job to either fix the current drivers or replace the drivers would end up costing double what I paid for the speakers, so I put that idea one side. Next logical step, DIY.

I sourced some surrounds (7inch) on e-bay and I convinced a mate to bring them back from the UK with him.

The surrounds then lay around for a while, other DIY projects and the my race car taking up all of my free time.

In the mean time I sourced the correct glue, the internet said that Aleene's tacky glue was the one to go for, so this was bought from a local craft store. I did end up buying enough glue to do this job 200 times.

So yesterday afternoon I had a spare couple of hours and I decided to give it a go. I only ended up doing both drivers on one speaker, will do the other one tonight. I also only took pics of the mid driver repair the woofer driver was exactly the same.

In all it took around 2 hours to do both drivers, it is very messy getting all the old surround and glue residue off. But all in all its not an overly complicated job. A sharp knife is a must though.

I will plug the fixed speaker in tonight to hear if it actually still works, but I don't see why it wouldn't. I will then fix the other one.

This is the first time I have tired anything like this before, but assuming the speaker still sounds as good as it did before its a job worth tackling.

I assume I have to run the speakers in again?

Pics to follow.

Latest posts