Audiolab M-DAC or Maverick Tubemagic D2 or Cambridge Dacmagic Plus?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curlycat

AVForums Grandmaster
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
The bug has bitten again.  :help: I am thinking of getting a decent DAC. I need some guidance choosing one please.

My budget is R5K, but if it is really worthwhile, I am prepared spend R10K. My kit is pretty much average. Source is PC with flac & JRiver. Then valve pre and power amps to Fostex horn speakers. I will connect via USB.  Currently I use the Asus Xonar Essence STX. I had an Arcam rDAC, which was quite pleasant and definitely an improvement on the STX. However, there is a R6000 price difference between the two. In my opinion, a large price tag to pay for some subtle refinement in the sound.

The Audiolab M-Dac has grabbed my attention. It seems to be a pretty good DAC, with all the additional features I would like to have, such as a pre amp (comes with remote, Jay!) and a headphone amp. I don't like the price though, R10 000. Is it worth the money, or will it be a case of diminishing returns? How much better is it than the Asus STX, twice as good, three times, ten times? Would the M-DAC be classified in the same performance category as the Arcam rDAC? What is the pre amplifier section like and how is the headphone amp?

The Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 ... The dark horse .... it seems like a decent piece of kit and well liked. The price is good, R3000. It does not have a pre amp or headphone amplifier. I do like the two sets of analogue outputs, one valve output and one solid state. From what I read, the D2 is still entry level and it  would probably not be a wise upgrade in my case?

The Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus seems to be a very popular DAC. It features a pre amp and a headphone amp, but no remote. Price is on the high side at around R7200 and reviews are mixed. It would probably make more sense to pay a bit extra and get the M-DAC.

What do you guys think? Any other DAC suggestions?

Latest posts