Audio via HDMI (graphics) - how does it work exactly?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PsyCLown

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I am hoping someone here can shed some light on something which I have noticed and am a bit confused about.
I run all my audio through my PC, my setup looks like this:
PC -> HDMI cable -> AVR -> Speakers

I have always used my Nvidia graphics card to output audio via the HDMI port to my Onkyo receiver. I had an issue with my power supply so had to revert to a small temporary PSU which lead to me not being able to use my nvidia graphics card and I had to resort to my Intel onboard graphics. Luckily my motherboard has HDMI so I now run audio out via that.

However I have noticed a difference in sound between my Nvidia graphics card outputting audio compared to my Intel onboard graphics outputting audio. Now as far as I understand, there isn't really any sort of processing which is done via the graphics card. The audio is in digital format and then gets send through to the AVR without any processing (except for maybe Windows or your media player - which in my case has not changed at all).
Yet there is still a difference in sound, it just does not sound as "full" and the bass does not seem to be as loud I guess.

So is there something I am missing? Perhaps a chipset somewhere which controls the way in which the audio gets sent and perhaps that could change the sound between various HDMI outputs?
Is it my imagination? Am I losing my mind and going mad?

Also if there is indeed something which would affect the sound when using HDMI and keeping the signal digital until the AVR's DAC, would that affect the way something like a DTS audio file is played as that should be bit-streamed through to the AVR and any and all processing / decoding should be done via the AVR - correct?

Thanks,
Psy

Latest posts