Another Project - Advise please.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undefined.za

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So, to cut a long story short: I'm 18 and both of my parents are nut jobs, so as soon as I turned 18 (last year), I left home (to get away from my father), got a job and stayed with my girlfriend for a month and a half before getting my own place. Her parents have been REALLY good to me and I'd like to do something for them.

At first I thought of sending them on holiday somewhere (as in, to guesthouse up the coast for a few days or something), but there's no way they would like that happen.

I recently finished my sound system (NAD C320, Modified pair of Maggies) which took a fair amount of time (full restoration). My girlfriend's parents came around to listen and from what I could see really liked good sound.

Then... I discovered that her dad has a pair of Boston Acoustics HD7's. From what I can see they look like a really nice pair of bookshelf speakers. However, like many it seems, the woofer foam has rotted (See attached pictures - sorry about the bad quality. That's what you get when you spend all your cash on sound instead of a new cellphone!). I want to restore them, buy an amp, cdp and give them a nice sounding system as a gift.

I wanted to know whether it would be a good idea to repair the foam on the existing woofers (there seem to be a multitude of kits available... Not sure about shipping, but I think I could ship a kit down all inclusive for under R400), or whether I should replace the woofers all together. They seem like good quality woofers, but I'm no expert.

The dimensions of the woofer, according to http://www.simplyspeakers.com/boston-acoustics-speaker-foam-edge-repair-kit-fsk-7hd7.html:

Outer diameter:
6-5/8" (168mm)
Roll outer diameter:
6-1/4" (159mm)
Cone diameter:
5-3/8" (137mm)
Inner diameter:
4-7/8" (124mm)
Foam roll width:
1/2" (13mm)

Then onto amp/cdp. I looked through the classifieds and see a NAD C300 from peter (Andre - awesome guy), which looks like a good match (I hope no one snatches it!). But I'd like to get the community's opinion before I buy. CDP wise, I saw a NAD T512, which is actually a DVD player... Not sure if it is suitable, but I'm sure I could find something better... The 'net says that the T512 isn't a great product.

I've been setting cash aside and I'd say my budget is R2.5k... maybe a bit more, but I don't think that more is necessary.

Let the advise giving begin! :)

Chris

Attachments

• Photo 0125 (Small).jpg
    Photo 0125 (Small).jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 187
  • Photo 0126 (Small).jpg
    Photo 0126 (Small).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 186
  • Photo 0127 (Small).jpg
    Photo 0127 (Small).jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 184