4K HDR AV Processor / Receiver recommendations?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyBawb

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Howzit gents

Having now purchased a shiny new 4K HDR TV, the rest of the playback chain requires attention... as per usual, you change one thing in your system, and it reveals the shortcomings of other components, thus necessitating an upgrade... 🙄

My HTPC isn?t quite up to the job, as it requires a better DP-to-HDMI cable to switch into 4K mode - but I?ve been looking for an excuse to switch to Nvidia?s Shield TV anyhow - so that part is covered...

Problem being, I?m quite partial to my existing DHC 80.3 Integra - its Audyssey XT32 implementation is great, it sounds pretty decent in stereo mode, and it steers surround signals beautifully. It offers a hell of a lot of config options that lesser AVR?s and Processors don?t.

Problem being, the current Integra flagship Processor has their own in-house calibration setup, which many consider to be inferior.
So, given the current crop of high end Processors available, there really aren?t too many options that offer 4K HDR & XT32, or a similar calibration standard - and they cost a small fortune.

Considering that I could get by without DTS:X and Atmos (straightforward 7.2 system) - what would you guys recommend?

I spotted something called an HDFury AVR Key at $149 ? a device which parses out HDMI 4K HDR Video to feed straight to the TV, and relays the HDMI HD Audio to the AVR, thus allowing me to continue using my existing Processor, and still get a full 4K signal to the TV. And considering that I only really have three playback devices connected, it?ll only amount to a R7k investment for 3 of them, and a bit of a ?dance? when switching between devices (obviously having to change sources on both the TV and the Processor)

What say you, AVF?

Latest posts