Nvidia Shield 4k HDR vs. Apple TV

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimbaLand

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had n Apple TV 4k for about 3 months. When I got it and tried to set it up there was an issue with HDR set up but I thought it was a compatibility issue with my processor. I finally got to set up HDR but if I remember well it was a limited HDR option. All 4k material had more detail than HD but nothing spectacular.

I got the Nvidia Shield 2 days ago and I finally got it working yesterday. After setting up Kodi I played the latest Dolby Atmos Demo disc and the colours and general resolution on Jurassic park was so spectacular vs. what I have seen from the same movie on Apple TV. To describe it I would say it was similar to how the graphics and colours on Avatar was vs. other HD movies at the time. I thought the demo disc was enhanced to give that effect so I played the same movie which I happen to have in 4K and boy oh boy it was also amazing. Ther picture just had so much more detail and colour which i had not seen before. This left me wondering what the issue with Apple TV is because both devices are 4K but its like this is my first time watching 4K. Maybe there was something on the settings I was not getting right but I am so happy with the Nvidia shield so far.

In terms of the user interface Apple TV has a simple and better look and feel. Maybe there is a way to customise the Shield's main menu to make it look more simpler and nicer. I will play with it some more this week to see what I can figure out there.

My system integrates a processor for movies and a stereo preamp for music using stereo bypass function. I made a USB connection between the Shield and my stereo preamp so that I can play stereo music via Tidal. I don't know how but the Shield seems to send all multichannel soundtracks to the processor via HDMI and stereo soundtracks to the stereo preamp which suits my preference but the downside is Youtube is also in stereo so it sends the soundtrack to the preamp and not the processor so I will need to play Youtube videos via my stereo preamp instead of surround processor. I will fiddle a bit more and see if there is a way in the apps menu to direct sound via either HDMI or USB so that Tidal can be via USB to stereo preamp and video related apps to processor via HDMI. Anyone using Shield I will appreciate your guidance on this one.

Latest posts