3.1 vs 2.1?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinosfronimos

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Hi all,

As ever, your experience & smarts are requested & appreciated!

So when I moved into my new place a while back, I no longer had the space for a 5.1 setup, comprising Monitor Audio speakers: BR6's, BX-FX's, RX-C, & ASW100; paired with a Cambridge Audio AV Amp: Asure 540R V3 and a Samsung LED TV.
So I settled for a 2.1 setup and put the centre and rears in storage.
Having lurked some discussions here recently, I'm reconsidering adding the centre speaker again.

My question is how do I set my amp correctly?
Currently I have it set at stereo+sub, which works great.
When playing video, and not music, I tend to stream stereo content.
How would I get my amp to upmix to 3.1?
As I understand it, on my amp this is the Pro Logic II / Neo 6 setting.
But doesn't that upmix to 5.1, and not 3.1?
With this setting would my amp also try and drive two rear speakers which are not connected?

Here's the manual, as surely someone understands it better than me? (https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/360001698525/Azur_540R_v3_User_Manual_-_English.pdf)

Would setting it up as 3.1 with this relatively old but solid amp, improve my experience of the audio when watching stereo video content? Can the amp upmix adequately?

Or is the system better as a 2.1, till some day, I have again a dedicated room, along with a newer amp, and can set up the 5.1 again?

Thanks for the advice!

Latest posts