Author Topic: 5.1 audio via media player not working  (Read 767 times)

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
5.1 audio via media player not working
« on: January 23, 2022, 11:48:52 AM »
Since yesterday I can't seem to get 5.1 digital audio from Netflix. I don't recall if Amazon Prime ever gave me 5.1, but that also gives me no 5.1. All I'm getting is 2-channel, which I can convert to Pro Logic, but that's not what I want. When searching, I'm finding (older) results stating that Netflix does not allow 5.1 over S/PDIF. Notwithstanding, I had been getting it via the Toslink output. I am using the Ematic AGT419 Quad Core  4K Ultra HD Android TV Box.

Anyone else having this problem?

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Dolby

Re: 5.1 audio via media player not working
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 12:02:49 PM »
Notwithstanding, I had been getting it via the Toslink output. I am using the Ematic AGT419 Quad Core  4K Ultra HD Android TV

Strange that you've been getting via optical as that, as far as I know, it should never have worked.

That said, I've only tried via HDMI and got both 5.1 / 4K / HDR on Netflix

Offline jvr

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 06:10:45 PM »
I have never had a problem with optical and 5.1 Dolby Digital surround. It won't do the high definition version though (Dolby Digital True HD, multi LPCM, etc), but streaming services don't use those afaik.

To answer the OP,  I did not experience any issues last night. Just make sure that whatever you are watching is indeed encoded with a surround soundtrack. Some of their programs are not. Peaky Binders for example.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 06:14:41 PM by jvr »
Lend me your ears

Offline jvr

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 06:12:31 PM »
Edit out.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 06:15:44 PM by jvr »
Lend me your ears

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 06:36:10 PM »
I have never had a problem with optical and 5.1 Dolby Digital surround. It won't do the high definition version though (Dolby Digital True HD, multi LPCM, etc), but streaming services don't use those afaik.

To answer the OP,  I did not experience any issues last night. Just make sure that whatever you are watching is indeed encoded with a surround soundtrack. Some of their programs are not. Peaky Binders for example.

Thanks. I'll check if it's the actual medium that's the problem (I suppose, by going back to recent views that did have 5.1 sound).

What media player are you using, BTW?

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline jvr

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 06:45:19 PM »
Yeah, I left out the bit about watching via the smart TV app last night, not my Android TV box. Which raises another question.. Do you get Ultra HD 4K Netflix via your Ematic, because my Maverick no longer lists Netflix content in that format, only HD?
Lend me your ears

Offline Dolby

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 07:43:20 PM »
I have never had a problem with optical and 5.1 Dolby Digital surround

It's a Netflix thing .

Optical and 5.1 work on VLC and other apps, but they shouldn't on Netflix . You'd generally need HDMI to get their DD+  signal

Offline Dolby

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 07:44:31 PM »
Do you get Ultra HD 4K Netflix via your Ematic, because my Maverick no longer lists Netflix content in that format, only HD?

Ematic gets UHD HDR on Netflix - that was one of the plus points on it over most the other boxes out

Offline jvr

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 07:49:23 PM »
^^ Sure, but Maverick is also suppose to. Only right now, it doesn't. And if Netflix does not output DD+ via optical?, it still does Dolby Surround.
Lend me your ears

Offline jvr

Lend me your ears

Offline jvr

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2022, 10:09:40 PM »
And re Dolby Plus: https://blog.son-video.com/en/2018/03/does-your-av-receiver-handle-dolby-digital-plus/. Note that close to the end of the article, in the paragraphs just above and below the last picture, it is explained how Dolby Digital surround, or PCM surround is retrieved from Dolby Plus, which is how one of my feeds work. I suppose that if I am able to resolve my 4K issue on my Maverick and incorporate a HDMI splitter, it will be possible to have both 4K HDR and Dolby Plus..?
Lend me your ears

Offline Dolby

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2022, 06:21:36 AM »
The only thing I can think of is a factory reset of the Maverick. It should do everything the Ematic does and I haven't heard of any recent issues with it.

It's actually made by the same people that make the Ematic

Offline jvr

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2022, 07:16:54 PM »
Thank you Dolby. I factory resetted the whole shebang, changed HDMI ports on my tv, still no Ultra HD 4K titles on Netflix. The Maverick recognizes the display as 2160p60hz, so that seems fine. I phoned their support line, the guy was going say what, they never experienced this.. ?  Really..? A Google search actually seems to indicate that this is a common problem on Android boxes. Even Netflix does, saying they are working on it..?

Here is the thing, I don't think too many people pick up on it. If you don't look specifically at how Netflix lists the particular series/movie ito of its available resolution, you might not even realize whats going on.

Sorry for derailing the thread. If there is anybody who could shed some light on it, I would appreciate it.
Lend me your ears

Offline jvr

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2022, 06:24:39 PM »
James at Mediabox helped me out via email. So nice to be able to get good local support. So it seems that I had to use my MHL HDMI port, in my case no. 3...the only one I did not test..  :Ooooooh:

I now have Ultra HD titles on my Maverick Netflix.

And fwiw @Shonver, I do get Dolby Digital surround via the SPDIF optical.
Lend me your ears

Offline Dolby

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2022, 06:47:30 PM »
So it seems that I had to use my MHL HDMI port, in my case no. 3...the only one I did not test..  :Ooooooh:

That's what I'd have suggested too .

Glad all worked out !