Author Topic: Sony FH-B1000 mini hi-fi electronics board components  (Read 346 times)

Offline stephanvanzyl

Sony FH-B1000 mini hi-fi electronics board components
« on: November 27, 2021, 02:45:27 PM »
Hi all

I took out my Sony FH-B1000 mini stereo system and powered it on after a long while for the 1st time again and played for about 10 minutes and then it started changing settings on it's own... mainly running through the sound EQ and Direct and Virtual surround settings.

Does not matter what button you press... it keeps on changing only the sound settings. Even the cd tray does not open anymore and it did this morning. So, I took it apart and made sure everything is connected etc and I noticed the chip (CXA1492Q) on the main system board is getting fairly hot. I presume it might have something to do with the issue.

I really don't want to part ways with this mini system, but find it difficult to get hold of such a chip...

Any repair gurus that might have one to send to me? I'll take it to someone who is good with board level repairs.

Offline rodga

Re: Sony FH-B1000 mini hi-fi electronics board components
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 05:42:20 PM »
I have the slightly smaller bh900 tucked away in my cupboard that I fear might be suffering the same fate.
Cd player stopped reading a while back already.

Offline stephanvanzyl

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 05:58:14 PM »
Really sad that it decided to go on a "trip" today. Hopefully a repair centre can repair it, otherwise I'll just have to look for a donor unit and see if the mainboards are similar and just take the control chip from there and swop it over.

Attached is a pic of the control chip I require...

Offline Family_Dog

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 06:35:57 PM »
I would not be sure that the fault lies with the chip but rather with some other component. Electrolytic caps possibly leaking?

Also, unless you have professional soldering equipment, there is no way you will successfully be able to replace that chip, assuming in the first place that you were even able to find one.

Start by checking power supply voltages and ripple.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline stephanvanzyl

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 06:44:48 PM »
Yes... I hear you.
I thought about the chip first because it feels very hot to the touch, but maybe its normal. All the other chips felt cool to the touch. I'm not sure how hot they should be. Like you said... it can as well be any other part. I think I'll just take it to a repair shop and hope for the best...

Offline RRankin

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2021, 09:22:38 AM »
Sorry can't point to the solution with my post here, but its nice to reminisce.

I have the FH-B700. My first little 'hifi' bought with my own money, even upgraded it's SQ by replacing the stock speakers with a set of Mission 760's (that was quite an amazing difference it made). Still have the set of 760's too. Sentimental value on steriods, and from the sounds of it stephan that is the way you feel too.

My H700's amplifier work fine, but source-wise only the tuner remains. Not even the aux input works anymore. However it has been in this state (tuner only source) for more than 10 years now so I am holding thumbs it will remain as such.

I.t.o. your last post: If FD is perhaps correct and its some caps etc, maybe a repair guy can have it fixed. If it is indeed the chip, then you will have to assign this to your hifi museum. But given its current state you really have nothing to lose, I'm sure that is your line of thought as well.

Offline stephanvanzyl

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2021, 12:50:27 PM »
Yeah... it's amazing how we tend to hold onto these electronic devices. Hopefully it's not distined for the museum yet. I think I'll take it to the "hospital" tomorrow and hope for the best. If it is not repairable... well then... I'll put it in a glass box with a card tgat says: Thank You For The Music! Hold thumbs guys...

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk

Offline Dreamerm6

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 06:52:26 PM »
Bud, let it rest in piece, its like 25 years old... It did its job, but now its over.

Offline Family_Dog

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2021, 08:06:54 PM »
^^ Half of my gear is w-a-y over 25 years old, I would never dream of letting them rest!   :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

I have AM/SW radios from the early 1930s which still work (sort of... probably could do with a recap now) and then plenty of gear from the '70s upwards which still works purr-fectly! 25 years is still "new"...  :rubhands:

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline Dreamerm6

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 01:31:26 PM »
^^ Half of my gear is w-a-y over 25 years old, I would never dream of letting them rest!   :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

I have AM/SW radios from the early 1930s which still work (sort of... probably could do with a recap now) and then plenty of gear from the '70s upwards which still works purr-fectly! 25 years is still "new"...  :rubhands:

-F_D

JIRR thats hard core bud! But then, back then, they built stuff different than today..